Friday, September 01, 2006

Pop Culture Decides

Know whats the latest to irk me. I hate the fact that we ( and by that I mainly mean me) rely on pop culture (which in India translates to our movies) to dictate if we are wierdos or not.

If you were in love with a chicken(and let me expressly mention that I am referring to love as in the love between a 90 year old millionaire and a 19 year old gold digging bimbette) you would of course be secretive about your torrid love affair with poultry. But if in the next SRK starer, King Khan professes his love for poultry, then goes ahead and courts a rather (foxy?) chicken right under the beak of 'her' betrothed (in this case, a handsome rooster), it would be 'okay'. Even your mom might agree to this match....

Many years back A hindu-muslim love affair was 'horrid', till cinema glorified it. If you notice, love marriages, nuclear families, divorce, homosexuality etc are 'okay' only after movies were made on it.

To make it clear, I am not complaining about these 'immoral activities' or whatever being okayed by society, but rather that we wait for our movie industry to okay who we are. In the sense the movie industry is like the 'ultra cool group' from college, who decided what was 'in' and what wasn't, and we bent over backwards trying to conform to them.

To get to the point, I was in two minds about something. And recently saw a movie which kinda depicted the same thing but with candy floss and a happy ending. Instantly I was comfortable with the very same thing that had been bothering me....all because it had the Bollywood/Tollywood stamp of approval.

I sicken me.

No comments:

Post a Comment