Tuesday, September 05, 2006

For lack of a better word...

I guess it would only be honest if I tell you upfront what happened just sometime earlier. I spent a little time over the weekend with this friend of mine, trying (in vain) to knock some sense into her. She was living in a fantasy world, one which you would find in a Mills & Boons or a Bollywood movie. Am not entirely sure, but I think I made my point quite succinctly that the real world is like.... what it is. I can assure you that the previous line is no indication of my ability to frame my thought. I did manage to put across my point to her rather well using better metaphors and convinced her of the real world's utter lack of ...for lack of a better word....magic.

Upon reaching home, I felt a slight uneasiness and quickly diagnosed it as a bout of chronic hipocritis. It is to cure this annoying ailment that I am typing out this blog entry on a Sunday night when I would rather be watching The Godfather on DVD....again.

I figure,that by telling you what I really think about the issue at hand ( about the world not being a fantasy land..not about my being verbally challenged. ) So cover your ears reader, for I am not about to shout at the top of my voice.

" IT IS A MAGICAL WORLD!!!!! "

There I feel much better now and can continue my meeting with the Corleone family (lest I sleep with the fishes) But I have a feeling I leave you with the rather sour aftertaste, like one you would get if you chewed thru the lyric of an old country western song. So I take this excuse (and also the fact that a writer has the advantage of not having to look at the disinterested eyes of his reader) to emphasize my loud statement.

The world is indeed magical, and I don't mean this in a cheesy christmassy, picnic in the park, first kissy, piano and saxophone kind of way. And before you even hope to interrupt, I am not speaking of bunny's out of a hat, owls dropping mails type either. The magic I refer to is quite different.

Its the kind of magic which makes a streetlight aware of the conversation between two 'about to be best friends' sitting on an equally magical manhole cover. The streetlight widens its eyes with interest and nods away during moments of 'ahs' and 'ums'.

Its the kind of magic which makes an entire city change its weather at the peak of summer to summon rainclouds with a slight hint of rain, allowing two to share an umbrella...

To make the water gush out of a pipe loudly in the railway station just when there is the danger of nothing left to be said during the goodbye.

You are flying back to your city, enveloped in the hushed darkness, making you doubt if your home is happy at seeing you come back.... the plane takes another round over the airport... just to rub it in. Then....like dominoes, you see the lights come on... over the entire city...the streets, hotels, homes... "Surprize!!!".... a welcome back party for you....from your home city.....magic!

I can continue quoting instances, but if you aren't convinced already, you never will be. And that....is such a pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment