Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Book calling

As you might have heard more times than you would care to, the typical every weekend consisted of going to The Forum and spending time in Landmark. While Nimish would browse music and chicks, I would read/read books, music and of course chicks. We still refer to the Landmark at Forum mall as 'Mothership'.


One of the books I semi-read there was 'Holy Cow ' by Sarah Macdonald. Regardless of what conventional wisdom says, I always judge a book by its cover. This one had a striking one. Sky blue with Shiva on it. (Why does my memory dig up an image of Shiva wearing shades?) I had read it in bits and pieces across weekends but only managed to finish the first couple of chapters. Finally I decided to go ahead and buy it. But on several occasions dropped it from my pile of books and CDs in an 'impulse non-purchase' .... (!!!! sorry about that. Couldn't think of a better phrase. )


One a couple of occasions when I decided to buy it come what may, the book wouldn't be available. Last visit to Bangalore, I picked it up, but dropped it since the checkout line was long. Deciding that fate was against the book, I decided that it was not to be.


Last week, while browsing at Odyssey at the comics section, I found it. Some shopper must have dropped it off at the last minute like me in the past. This was a sign from above if ever there was one,.


Been re-reading the first two chapters. I hope this book marks my grand comeback to reading. Its been a year since I read a new book.


p.s. My memory serves me right,. The copy  in amazon shows Shiva with shades. They probably dropped it in subsequent prints in fear of the hindutva brigade.

2 comments:

  1. You're really back, not bad!
    This book, fiction?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 100% pure fiction... but saala nazar lag gaya.. haven't read a page for the past week.... :-( But for 'good' reasons..

    ReplyDelete