Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Rahman Theorem

A few years back, I lost my entire music collection during a 'nerd phase' (I must have been trying to install a pre-alpha version of some Linux based OS or something like that). 


Anyways, I managed to rebuild most of the collection but lost out on a good chunk...a great chunk. One of the things I missed the most was my entire Rahman collection. I have every album of his... I mean every (yes, I had Vandicholai Chinnarasu, Pudhiya Mannargal, Uzhavan, etc etc) album. I was unable to find these songs for the past few years (thru methods both legal and otherwise). But yesterday I struck paydirt. I hit upon a site which had almost all the albums I needed. This coupled with the atrociously fast internet at Microsoft helped me rebuild the Rahman in just under half hour..and we are talking 41 albums here. 


Anyway that's not what I want to talk about... while downloading these albums I realized something, which I will distill in a short simple sentence below (very unlike me, I know). And in order to tie it in to the post title, I call this...


The Rahman Theorem


The quality of music in any A.R. Rahman album for a movie, is either greater than or equal to the quality of the movie itself.


Think about it.

I personally rate the following among his 'worst' ones.... I dare you (I double dare you #$#$# ^*@#) to pick one of these (or any not in the list) where you feel that the movie surpassed the music.


Pudhiya Mannargal
Gangmaster 
Muthu
Ratchagan
Padayappa
Taj Mahal
One 2 Ka 4
Alli Arjuna
Baba
Udhaya
Kisna
Anbe Aruyire
Azhagiya Tamiz Magan
Yuvvraj


See my point????


So in short, if you listen to a Rahman album and it sucks (even after repeated listening), expect the movie to suck like hell.








No comments:

Post a Comment