Thursday, July 15, 2004

Asad

This is a 'Copy Paste' from my Diary.....and if u expected a disclaimer...u wont be dissappointed. The views below were certainly mine...but please also note the date. My current views may not necesarily be the same on all topics.

Date:- 14th June 1996

You may be surprized that the name Syed Asad is the first one in this book. But the only reason for this is that this was the name that came to my mind first.

Date:-15th June 1996.

I met Asad during my 5th class. We were not friends from that time. Far from it, we were enemies. Believe it or not. It so happened that Asad was the class leader and I was myself. One day ( if i remember right, it was Asad's b'day. So Kareem ( a boy in the class) decided to give him his watch. This was not due to friendship, it was solely for the sake of getting into his good books. I don't know whether Asad accepeted the watch or not. But for some strange reason I told of Kareem's deal to Amma.
The same week, Amma came to school and complained to the Vice-Princi. The news spread all over school. So that's how me and Asad came to be bitter enemies. A few days later, Asad came to me and asked me why I had done all this. I gave him a muddeled reply which even I couldn't understand, ( But it was intentionall).
I don't remember how, but quite soon after that we became friends ( not close though!) He still had his old friends like Sajeed etc. But he could not hold onto them for long. Maybe their 'lower than a snail's belly' intellect was irritating him. Anyway, both of us were steadily coming closer and leaving our old friends behind. Our interests, and intelectual thoughts were same. While the others talked of silly things we were into serious stuff.
In our 7th we saw our first movie together, It was 'Honey, I Shrunk the kids!' and it was in Sangeet, on a Saturay and the noon show.
By our 8th class we were well established 'best-Friends'. It was in this class that both of us learnt about intercourse and sex. I remember, We used to pour through the blue Oxford Pocket Dictionary ( It was supposed to be Vijay's. But he hardly knew that It existed.) We went to the word 'Intercourse' and there it was written, 'Insertion of Man's Penis into Woman's Vagina'. We for starters were dumbfounded, flabbergasted and all that stuff. To this day, I owe to the Oxford dictionary for most of what I know about sex. Even as I am writing I am sniggering to myself as I recollect these incidents. I am sure that you will too.

Date:-13th November 1996.
Asad & Me never realised that we are 'best friends' until maybe we were in 8th class. I don't recall, when we became friends and how our enimity faded away. Our thoughts were alike, and that's what brought us together. Asad is 2 years older than me. That made him one of the oldest in the class. So he probably felt alone, in a class full of 'kids'. So when he found me, talking uinlike the rest of the class, and being 'above the rest' probably made him like me. But I was mostly another one of those freaks in the class who loved fun and 'chutiye kaaman' as Asad himself would have put it. I could have survived without a super intellegent peer. So what attracted me to him. Probably his love for books, which we both shared @ that time.
But even in school, we hanged around with the regular freaks a lot. Probably Asad dind't need this, but I did. So Asad was there with me. The one main difference between me and Asad is ( I hope I get this right) that he dosen't hide his high thougts, but I behave like a childish, immature 17 year old with others, but with Asad I am something else. Only Asad knows this. I don't want to analyze this further because this chapter is about Asad and not me.
When school broke up in class X, I thought that this was the end of our friendship. Because, I certainly don't believe in long distance relationships. I had forgotten all about Asad and didn't worry about it much, thinking only about the college life ahead of me. But thank god, Asad remembered me. One day, I came back from Bhavans College after submitting the forms, to find Asad sitting in my home. He told me that he planned to take MPC in St.Marys. But I (with a little help from Amma) brain washed him into taking CS Voc. We didn't meet much in the hols. Though I don't know why.
While writing if it appears as if I am a very proud and haughty guy. Then you can go to hell. I am telling the bare truth. Me and Asad are definetely a cut above the rest. And we both don't have any inhibitions about this with each other.

Date:14 November 1996.
I could never decide who is more mature, me or Asad. @ first I felt it was him, but some of his views and ideas shows him to be very immature. He is conservative, thought not as much as the average muslim. He hates 'made-up' women. But you can't expect a muslim from his background to be a total revolutionary. He has very immature in judging people. A person who was an angel one day would be a bastard the other. So far, one Mr.Ahmed (Achmed if you remember), & A Sashi stand to prove my point. Relatively I feel that I am more stable in my thoughts and judging people.
Another of Asad's qualities which I ( I hate to say this) admire is his never tire attitude. He faces so many failures every day, most of which I make it a point to point out to him. But he is still confident about it. So confident that you can only call it over confidence. He always feels that things will work out peachy keen. Come to think of it, isn't this a bad quality in him. Won't this mar his future. I hope not.

16th January 1997.

More on his overconfidence. Asad is getting more and more overconfident. He has even gone to the limit of saying that WE are geniuses. We are certainly not. We are above average. I don't even consider us Very Good. In the international level, we are just above average. And that is very good I feel. Moreover Asad covers his shabby programs under the guise that his ' underlying engine ' is powerful. The only difference between his programs and mine I feel is that I pay lots more attention to the interface and intuitiveness than he does. Just because my programs look and feel good doesn't make them technically inferior. And just because his programs have a nerdy look dosen't make it great. This is something I have never been able to convince Asad about.
Once and for all, I certainly feel that I am better than Asad in computers.

November 10th 1997.
I have been reading the chapters on Asad and have added to the Asad vs Me chapter just a few moments ago. But my pen just doen't seem to stop. Since I have been critical of him in the other chapter, I guess I more than owe it to him to write something good.
I was just thinking and a thought occured to me. If it wasn't for Asad I probably wouldn't have been the intellectual that I am. But Asad probably wouldn't have needed me. This may sound to be a paradox to what I may have written earlier. But I have written what has come to my mind now. So there!
And even if we do achieve success I think Asad would have a bigger hand in mine than mine in his. This is probably because Asad is the one who is enterprising. He is willing to ' Just to it'. Maybe it is because business runs in his blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment