Monday, February 08, 2010

My Rules III [Updated]

In the glorious tradition of Bollywood movies adding a song after the first week just to spite the first-day first-show viewers, I know have an 'extraa rule' for the '2nd Grand Day' of this post.

For previous lists of 'My Rules' visit here and here 

All right, its been almost 6 months since I told all the jerks out there how they can make the world a better place for people like me.... no no..make that 'for me'. 

1. This goes to the media.
Stop attaching the word 'gate' to every stupid scandal. Its been three decades since Watergate..and that was in the USA dumasses... Not just is it stupid, but most of your viewers probably do not even know what Watergate was and must be wondering what the frick is this about...

2. And this to the TV people.

Stop airing 'Indra - The Tiger' already. Seriously. I dare you to switch on your TV right now, and it is probably playing on some Hindi network. And while we are on the topic, I know you probably heard my conversations with friends when we gushed over how we would never ever get tired of watching 'FRIENDS' re-runs. Well..we were wrong.  Its been going on long before I hit puberty...and here I am now with a kid and this this is still running??? And while still on the topic, Seinfeld is *still* funny.  Here is an idea, bring back M*A*S*H.


3. Shahrukh - This one is for you.
Yep! I know someone told you and it is probably true that you are very popular in Pakistan. So its understandable that you want to suck up to them. But they watch pirated copies of your movies so you aren't getting one single Pakistani Rupee from the other side of the border, so don't go about trying to please them by saying the Pakistanis should have been in the IPL.


What? You were actually serious about that? Oh..my apologies... if only there was a way you could have put your money where your mouth is..if only you owned your own IPL team and could have bought them...if only...

4. And not to stray from Bollywood.

What's with the Hindi movie industry's obsession over the September 11 attack in the US? Is that the worst tragedy we know about? First it was Naseer Saab's directoral debut - Yun Hota to Kya Hota, then New York last year, and now SRK with MNIK.


And then these people get pissed off if we call them 'Bollywood'. Pah!


                                     -----x-----


I did have one more rule to spit out, but I glanced around and saw a book on the table. A dust covered paperback with a white cover, and a small rainbow on the upper left hand side.


I love the hour or two of halfsleep on Sunday mornings. Its something one grows to love right from the first Sunday after joining school. This particular Sunday morning was no different, except that it was. My halfsleep was broken by the twin beep of an incoming SMS. Picked up my phone from under my curiously twisted pillow (one of the mysteries of life I suppose). It was a message from Nimish. 


The only messages Nimish ever sends are the ones that strike him to be gloriously funny for some reason (they usually bring a faint smile to most)


This message was terse. 


dude. salinger is dead


Punctuationswere never his thing.


My first thought was not shock. Not remorse. It was ironically Holdenish. I thought.


"Oh gawd! Now facebook and twitter would be flooded with morons quoting him as their status message."


My second thought was.


"Hmmm.. I wonder which quotes I should post on Twitter and as my Google Talk status..must avoid quoting Catcher...all the other morons would be doing that."



I remember when R K Narayan passed away. I remember actually feeling sad. But now, I searched myself and just did not.


It's not like he was prolific and his staying alive would have given me few more books to read...naah..that old coot had written published four books and that was that. 


And thank goodness for that...else I would have difficulty packing when I travel. 
????!!!!!!


p.s. My current Google Talk status is "The most singular difference between happiness and joy is that happiness is a solid and joy a liquid"

No comments:

Post a Comment