Monday, March 16, 2009

At long last

I checked with the relevant authorities, and they confirmed that this doesn't count as a 'comeback post', so I don't have to make up excuses or give reasons. As a matter of fact, I am guessing you guys are used to the pace of the blog now.

Anyways,( btw, if you subscribe to Reader's digest, check this month's issue for the article on Indian english) I wouldn't want to dispense with tradition alltogether. So let me fill you in on what's going on in my life...


There is of course, the BIG news. The giant, humongous one. But we will keep it under wraps for now. Unless, of course, you already know about it. In which case ... 'Shhhhh!'

What else? Oh ya... I broke up.... with google chrome. It was a fling I tell ya... pretty young thing and all that but at the end of the day, i realized that I missed the stability of firefox... but it is hard to say goodbye, so I do use it on and off. But as of now, its firefox for me.

Saw a few movies. Three of them I would wanna talk about.


Delhi 6: Ya ya! I should have posted long long back. After all, I did see this movie first day. Anyway, I actually liked the  movie. Honest! Ya, the ending was long winded and actually weird, but the rest of the movie. good stuff. Watch it if you haven't. Don't listen to the others (unless of course, even they asked you to see it).


I liked the music (Duh!!), Abhishek Bacchan (was very happy to merge into the mileu and play the observer). But I mostly liked the fact that the story was very .... R.K Narayanish.No no! In fact, it feels like an R.K Laxman illustration of an RKN story.  Think about it, the whole movie feels like one of those amazingly simple but chock full of detail, artworks you would find in any Malgudi based novel. So many characters, no actual story line. You just sit back and breathe it all in. I could feel the love the director had for his home city. And that (I think) was his actual intention.  Special mention of the song which blended Chandni Chowk with Times Square. Amazing!!!


The second is actually not a movie but a documentary. Its called Religulous. I would want to talk about this in detail, so am hoping I actually do.


On Saturday, I took appa to see 'Naan Kadavul'. I was impressed with his previous movies, but felt that somewhere it was quite pretentious. For example, Vikram's character in 'Pithamagan'... he was a man after all, not an ape. Why would he go about grunting all along.. 


Anyways, Suffice to say I wasn't 'blown away' by his past work. 


I was with this one.


I don't remember the last time a movie made me feel that I had witnessed a milestone. This one was. Oh sure, I found a tinge of the same pretentiousness in this one too. And the lighting felt very artificial. But all that is forgiven.


By the end of the movie, as the Hyderabaadi audience walked out, I was sure that a majority of them didn't really like it. But the crowd was silent. Love it or hate it, but everyone knew they were affected by what they had seen. 

I know you hate hyperbole as much as I do, but let me indulge just once more.


I realize that that title now is a proclamation by Bala... for he created a universe. He picks stars, if he wants to. He can dispense with them at will. He can weave humour into scenes depicting the most miserable and wretched humans on earth.


Its a proclamation by Illayaraja. He can command violins and other musical instruments to lend depth to a scene in ways nobody can.


I was sure I wouldn't want to see it again since it was so heavy. But I guess I will just  to soak up the nuances. But would I recommend this movie to you? Am not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment