Thursday, September 20, 2007

Fear of completion.

I must have been about 12 or so. I don't remember. Amma had made this really yummy paneer dish. Me and Vijay were all over it. Vijay, wolfed it down and went over to watch TV (I would guess).

I.... picked out the last piece of paneer with a hint of gravy, and with the deftness of a crime scene investigator, put it in a small polythene bag. And stored it in the freezer. It lay there for a month. Mom found it eventually and threw it out.

I did not have to wait for me to get older to realize I had a problem. But as the years passed by, I was able to understand what was my problem. I fear completion.

Let me elaborate.

I love the band Sixpence none the richer. They broke up and so will not have any new albums out. To my knowledge, they have about 6 albums. I have all of them. I have listened and loved all of them. Except one. No. It didn't stink. It's just that I haven't listened to it yet. And I have it with me for only about 4 years now.

I am currently reading Franny and Zooey*. The only published J.D Salinger book I haven't read. (There are only four.) I was gifted the book a few years back. And I finally started reading it. I have about 25 pages left...and am unable to bring myself to finishing it. The book rocks! (That's putting it very, very  mildly.) If I finish, there will be no more J.D Salinger's for me.

And that (as you would have understood by now) is my problem. I hate to see good things coming to an end. And so I try to prolong or postpone the ending...and in the process lose out on some potentially good stuff.

Am I alone here? Do any of you do something similar or at least equally weird ? (Ms. Shoe taster, please own up)

*Riwin:This is the same copy you gave me with the inscription 'Read it before you are 30'. I am 28.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha... i'm still stucked with the banana fish story, will have lots to relish on when im in the wrong side of thirty
    fear of completion? - all the time, specially when it comes to my work.

    ReplyDelete