Sunday, June 14, 2009

Life post #2

Life Post #1

For those who are not in the know, me and Sandhya are expecting. The stork is scheduled to make the stopover sometime in mid August. Of course, we do not know the sex of the baby since sex determination is illegal here in India.


Now, when for the past few months I have got the 'dad anxieties'. I have started worrying about things. Wierd things. One of them is this.

When growing up, most kids learn basic skills from their parents. Boys of course, rely on their dads and vice versa. In the good old days, the 5 year old would want to grow up and 'be like daddy'. After my ' train driver' phase, my dream job was to eventually work in a bank and earn three thousand rupees. Not only that, I wanted to be surrounded by tonnes of paper files and have an Air Cooler in my cabin.

My first fear is that I am not equipped to teach my son any useful skills. I realized this while watching Lost (to which me and wifey are hooked on to) and pondering over my fate if I had been on that island. Not only that, imagine the episode where my backstory was told.... on second thoughts, don't imagine.

Unless the kid needs to know how to create a wicked PowerPoint deck or an Excel based tool to track work flow and measure  value created.... then I would be a kick ass dad.


Secondly, when my kid asks me what I do for work, am I supposed to say 'Strategic Sourcing Consulting' ? No way in hell, my kid would win a 'my daddy strongest' argument. My only consolation is that the father of the kid across the desk would probably be a code monkey with an equally lame title. 


Aah, I have acquired 4 new grey hairs while composing this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment