Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My Film Festival

 

Over the past month, I have been seeing movies almost every weekend... no no! Make that every weekend... hold on! in fact, make that two..or maybe three every weekend.

The ones which come to mind first of course, are the ones which stand out for whatever reasons.

There was Jodhaa Akbar, which I am told is an amazing movie and I should be privileged to even be born in the same era when it was made (honest to god, thats what Rajeev Masand said). Me and Sanz saw the movie on the IMAX screen ( the local IMAX theatre screens regular movies on the giant screen now and then)... and we saw it sitting in the 4th row from the front. Of course, we divided the screen between us, and had team meetings to discuss what was happening in our part of the screen.

When the movie started, I felt uneasy and felt it might be boring and unimpressive.... half hour into the movie, my doubts were laid to rest. The movie was indeed boring and unimpressive. The lead pair were of course, looking like a million bucks. But thats about that.

I did realize what my dream job would be though, working as an editor for Mr. Gowarikar. Maybe I could learn to yodel, yo-yo while working for him. At one point I was fairly sure, that the movie was being still shot somewhere backstage and they were handing out more reels for screening. We were woken up every 20 minutes or so when the lead pair would yell out "Ekaanth!" to the attendants around. I assume this was ancient Indian speech for "Fuck Off Morons!"

Then last Saturday, we had to sit through another doozy. 10,000 B.C. If Spider-Man 3 was directed by Karan Johar, this was Subhash Ghai for sure. I was about to say Manmohan Desai...but let's give credit where its due. I love Manmohan Desai flicks!

Of course, I did happen to watch a few good flicks too... good.. no? great!

Across the universe, is without doubt one of the greatest musicals ever. I mean, how could it be anything else, with music from the Beatles blended together into a story.... Very highly recommended. Even if you are not a Beatles fan...especially if you are not a Beatles fan!

Last night again, I finally saw Darjeeling Limited. Wes Anderson  hasn't let me down yet. And seeing India through his eyes...this one was a privilege for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment